While I like lobster well enough, I am just as fond of shrimp (shhh… maybe even more so). Nice shrimp can be succulent, tender, and sweet. Often characteristics which can be allusive in lobster. Lobster too often is tough and chewy. Shrimp is also cheaper.. and more accessible.
So I modified a lobster roll recipe for something I always have in my freezer… shrimp.
I made a flavored mayonnaise to toss the cooked shrimp with:
- dijon mustard
- lemon juice
- smoked paprika
- sriracha hot sauce
- pickle or pepperocino juice (dash)
Then I made a beurre blanc to poach the cleaned, cut up shrimp:
- saute onions and garlic in olive oil
- add lemon juice + champagne (or rice wine) vinegar
- simmer until liquid is almost gone
- add chopped herbs of your choice (chervil, parsley, chives are nice)
- add a little cream + chicken broth, reduce briefly
- then whisk in cold cubes of butter
- season to taste
Add shrimp to beurre blanc to poach gently at low simmer, stirring frequently until just cooked.
Serve on a toasted hot dog bun lined with butter lettuce. Serve with wedges of lemon.