sI wrote about my best photos of 2016 on my sister blog here… and honorable mentions .. here. As I went through my photos and refreshed my memory of all the great experiences we had throughout 2016, I also ran across photos of restaurants we had been to… some of which you have read about in this blog.
So while I’m doing the ‘Best of’ series… why not include BEST restaurants we went to in 2016. We had some amazing meals throughout 2016, so it’s fun to go back and Mmmmm and Ahhhh about their yumminess. So here goes (in no particular order):
- Twist, Las Vegas. Wow! It was an expensive restaurant to be sure, but the food was amazing… and the best part was the staff. The servers could see how much we were enjoying our meal as we savored every bite. So they offered to take us back in the kitchen to meet the chef! They even gave us a Thank You card for dining with them (can you imagine?!).. and a little parting gift all tied up in a bow of sweet treats. Fantastic!
2. Raku, Las Vegas. I just love this place. Every time we are in Vegas we go. I can’t help myself. It’s reasonable priced, and the food is fantastic. It changes from time to time, and is inventive, beautifully presented, friendly, and absolutely delicious. I love their tasting menu. It always includes things I would never order otherwise, but just love… like their tofu. I am NOT a tofu fan… but Raku’s homemade version could make me one. Great spot!
3. Mon Ami Gabi, Las Vegas. I’d be remise if I didn’t include the best eggs benedict with smoked salmon I have ever eaten. I love eggs benedict, it is my go-to breakfast meal on the off occasion we splurge on breakfast.. so I’ve tasted a lot. But none better than this mainstay french restaurant in Vegas.
4. Social, Costa Mesa CA. This charming little place in Costa Mesa had memorable little plates that had perfect balance. I loved the way they brought different textures together for wonderful, flavorful bites.
5. Pok Pok, Los Angeles CA. We had a fabulous meal full of ethnic flavor and spice at Pok Pok in LA. Their glazed wings were to die for… crunchy spicy yumminess.
6. Trois Mec, Los Angeles CA. Trois Mec is a very difficult ‘ticket’ to get, but we were thrilled when we did. The food was interesting, cutting edge, and fun. The staff with engaging and interactive, and the whole experience fun.
7. ANQi, Costa Mesa CA. This restaurant is part of the Thanh Long family of CA restaurants. If you haven’t eaten at one and have the chance, you should. They are famous for their chili crab and garlic noodles. Outstanding.
8. The Bite House, Baddeck Nova Scotia. Outstanding! Simply Outstanding! This very small tucked away place outside of Cape Breton was perfect. The tasting menu was fantastic. Each bite was perfectly balanced, fresh, and beautiful. The chef has mastered the art of color, texture and balance. Each little plate had a edible flower, some kind of crunch, and some element of freshness. Each and every one was terrific. I’d go back in a heartbeat given the opportunity. Really great.
9. Elvira’s, Tubac AZ. Years ago we used to frequent Elvira’s in Nogales. It had the best true Mexican taco’s and burritos. But then the son came to work there and the food went all upscale… and Nogales fell into crime, drug lords, and despair. So Elvira’s moved to Tubac. While we were in Tucson, we opted to make the drive to Tubac to see how Elvira’s had evolved. I’m glad we did! Their Mexican food is just stunning. This dish of squash blossom stuffed poblano with a red chile sauce was fantastic. They were kind enough to share the recipe, so I’ve had a few lucky friends get to enjoy this fabulous dish in my own home. I hear they opened a new Elvira’s in Tucson.. you can bet when we next are in Tucson, we will be checking it out.
10. Escalante Outfitters Cafe, Escalante UTAH. First off, sorry for the terrible cell phone pic. But I just had to include this one, albeit a bad photo. We had this Eggs-in-a-nest breakfast at this little cafe in Escalante, Utah, and have made it at least a dozen times at home since. This photo represents the original dish that we have replicated over and over for ourselves and our friends. It is a great breakfast, and easy to make, and has definitely been added to our repertoire.
Wow! This makes me hungry. We had some amazing restaurants out in all our travels this last year. It was great fun to remember every bite.